Wellington City Council wants to engage citizens from all demographics, and especially youth, to provide their views on how the city should grow to accommodate another 80,000 residents over the next 30 years, while encouraging comment and conversation, and providing privacy protection.
Squiz's solution for Phase 1 of Wellington City Councils three to four year 'Planning for Growth' engagement programme has:
- equipped the council's Planning team with a flexible platform for the different phases of the programme's three to four year lifespan
- successfully delivered Phase One of the programme to enable citizens to consider and provide feedback on four different growth scenarios and guide city planners in developing a spatial plan that sets out the strategic direction for how the city should grow
- 1,372 submissions received, surpassing expectations from previous engagements
- database of citizens wanting to continue engagement with subsequent phases
- feedback received from a wide range of audiences including high levels of involvement from youth by use of social media and a robust digital campaign
Squiz provided a responsively designed website running on Squiz Matrix integrated with council internal and third party services to create a digital engagement platform with the flexibility to meet Wellington City Council's needs as the consultation programme evolves through the different phases of its three to four year lifespan.