Our London / Edinburgh offices are looking for an all-rounder to join our CRU (Customer Response Unit) Team. We're really looking for a Linux geek who's proficient with web servers and web standards, and is also a great communicator. You'll be helping out with setting up, managing and keeping web servers alive and coming up with creative ways to support client requests across the Squiz technology stack (CMS, CRM, Cloud, Marketing Automation, Search and Innovation).
As an Application Engineer, you will be responsible for improving the overall uptime and performance of Squiz's production infrastructure as well as troubleshooting issues that our customers face on a daily basis.
The day to day:
- Monitor and troubleshoot issues that arise on enterprise infrastructure
- Field incoming client support requests (phone and email) while providing exceptional customer service
- Verify stability, interoperability, and security of system architecture.
- Analyze, install, modify and support operating systems, databases and software
- Troubleshoot large complex CMS implementations.
- Strong systems and network security awareness
- To take ownership of issues from start to finish
- The ability to pick-up concepts quickly with drive to learn
- To promote cooperation and strive to improve the knowledge of the rest of the team
- To have a procedural approach to solving problems
- An ability to work independently on projects
- Linux/UNIX administration
- Strong understanding of DNS
- Familiar with virtualisation concepts
- Version control: SVN or Git
- Operating Systems: CentOS, Debian or Scientific Linux
- Web Servers: Apache or Nginx
- System/Network monitoring tools: Nagios, Shinken or CollectD
- Databases: PostgreSQL, Oracle or MySQL
It would be cool if you had:
- Experience in a web hosting environment
- Ability to read and write PHP
- Configuration management: Puppet or Ansible
- RedHat Certification
- Previous system administration and DevOps experience
- Insight into principles of load balancing and disaster recovery
- Familiarity with a scripting/data manipulation language such as: Bash, Python, Awk, Perl, etc.
- Firewalls: iptables
Squiz is one of the world's leading web solutions companies. We design, build and manage engaging websites and online applications using our Web Experience Management Suite, the Squiz Suite. Our clients include many household names and range from large global organisations to Government bodies and charities. We have an international network of offices in Australia, USA, New Zealand, Poland and the UK, and employ over 400 permanent members of staff.
As a team we are talented, motivated, friendly and enthusiastic. We live and breathe the web and our passion is finding new and innovative solutions using Squiz products alongside the latest web technologies. Our staff give 100% and are offered a high level of autonomy, responsibility and opportunity in return. As we are a growing company, there is ample opportunity for career progression over time for individuals who are skilled and dedicated.
Just as DNA is the building block of life, our people are the building blocks of our business:
Start with why
The secret to Squiz’s passion lies in our need to ask ‘why?’.
Find a way
Resourcefulness, persistence, ingenuity and determination are the foundation of Squiz’s character.
Fight for better
We know there is always a better way. That’s why we strive for “wow” rather than settle for “meh”.
Don't be a dickhead
At Squiz we don’t take ourselves too seriously and enjoy a good laugh (even if it’s at our expense).
- Flexible Working
- 25 days annual leave plus Bank holidays
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Annual Wellbeing allowance
- Discounted BUPA healthcare
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Employee Referral Scheme
- Bi-annual performance reviews
- Weekly L&D afternoons
- Macbook and iPhone
- Fully stocked fridge
- Beers on a Friday
- Office Pingpong, Playstation, Gaming and Movie nights
- Great culture with open, passionate and friendly work mates
Please note that Squiz does not work with recruitment agencies. We don’t accept speculative CVs from any agencies and reserve the right to treat any received as a gift. Squiz will not be liable for any fees should we engage with any candidates who have been speculatively submitted by an agency.